Safawi have a beautiful dark brown color. They are chewy and mildly soft with a deep flavor. Sweet but not too much, with a subtle taste that reminds of coffee. The aftertaste isn’t too sweet compared to other dates which makes it enjoyable to have more than one at a time.
- Safawi dates
- origin: Saudi Arabia – Madina region
- Low-Medium sweetness level
How to store dates:
- Up to 4 weeks: the dates can be kept at room temperature
- For 1 – 5 months: keep the dates in the fridge
- For 5 – 12 months: keep the dates in the freezer
Always keep the dates in a box or an airtight container so they don’t get dry.
Recommended serving temperatures for dates:
- Soft and juicy dates such as Sukari Soft taste great when cold or even frozen (try frozen Sukari, it’s like a mini date ice cream – perfect on hot summer days!)
- Medium soft dates like Segai or Medjool can be served cold (from the fridge) or at room temperature
- Chewy dates such as Mabroom, Ajwa and Safawi should be served at room temperature, otherwise they’re too hard and chewy
Press the dates lightly with your fingers to check how soft they are.